Be part of a vital profession that changes the built world around us. In this sector you will be responding to what people want and need from structures.
Depending on the route you take, you might be designing our built environment, you might be creating and managing the systems we need to make buildings habitable, or perhaps you will be responsible for ensuring that it all fits together and suits the local community.
There are opportunities in:
- architecture and architectural technology
- building services engineering and building control
- surveying and planning
- town planning and town centre management
Find out more:
- Jobs and salaries
- Routes and qualifications
- Funding and support
- What's it really like working in Built Environment?
- How many Built Environment jobs are out there?
- Location, location, location
- Will a career in Built Environment suit me?
Built Environment is a relatively new way of describing the design, construction and managements of manmade structures. The traditional areas of Construction, Property and Land Surveying are included in this sector, but see our separate sector summary for more information. It is also worth noting the overlap with Engineering.